The Exclusive World of Alpha Chi BlogHer

Earlier today, BlogHer CEO, co-founder and consummate Pioneer Woman kiss-up, Lisa Stone, appeared on CBS This Morning. Norah O’Donnell and Anthony Mason asked compelling questions about the conservative blogging network that compensates members who comply with its strict tenets. From 2009 to 2013, BlogHer paid 5,700 bloggers $36 million. While a minority earn six to seven figures, the average blogger pulls down a measly $200 a month.

How does one gain admission into this exclusive online sorority? According to Lisa, being a “quality storyteller,” taking “great digital photography,” or leading interesting social conversations makes you the perfect candidate. Currently, there are thousands on BlogHer’s waiting list. And what would an interview with Lisa Stone be without a ubiquitous plug for their top performer and shareholder, The Pioneer Woman.

Garnering membership into Alpha Chi BlogHer’s network requires total conformity to upholding what Lisa touts as their “quality guidelines.” In other words, bloggers must agree first and foremost to sell their souls, moderating all comments and deleting any signs of “hate or harassment.” Shine the light on a blogger’s shady practices or lack of integrity as we do the Pioneer Woman, you’ll be labeled a “jealous, hater” and summarily black-balled from consideration.

For those lucky robots, BlogHer offers revenue sharing and reinvestment in their blogs. So if you can pen engrossing content about vibrator shopping or March 14th’s Steak & Blow Job Day or submit this example of excellence in proofreading, then you have what it takes for the mother of all blogging platforms.

Finally, a heartfelt thanks to all who have contributed since we installed our “donate” button last week.   In the last few months, as more and more people find us, our site traffic has increased rapidly.  To keep The Marlboro Woman operating efficiently, our hosting costs recently doubled.  If you like it here and have the means, please consider a donation.   It’s anonymous, safe and it will help defray our expenses.  Thank you so much guys!

Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On PinterestCheck Our Feed

63 Responses to The Exclusive World of Alpha Chi BlogHer

1. Layla says:

PW has posted a picture of her garden from a “couple of years ago.” There are actual green vegetables, including kohlrabi. So she does know they exist. (Although if it was the summer of 2 years ago, drought probably took it out, like it did mine.)

• Romen says:

The idea that she was actually growing all that is listed on the so-called labels of those raised beds in the photo is just another fallacy for the reeple. The bed all the way to the right, for example, was supposed to be planted with potatoes _and_ tomatoes. Umm…enlarge the photo. Do tomatoes have purple blossoms? And who plants potatoes in raised bed quantities for a family of six? Yep. More bullshit.

• Romen says:

Sorry everybody. The photo is posted on her websites Confession post for today — Kitty in the Planter. It shows 5 or 6 raised beds and has arrows pointing to each bed, naming the plants supposedly growing in each bed. It says in the post “I found this photo today.” Apparently we are expected to understand that it’s her garden and was planted at the ranch…sometime…recently.

• cath says:

I totally agree with you Romen. The broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and kohlrabi bed is a joke as well. We plant broccoli about 60cm apart as the plants grow huge – in that bed from my best guestimate she would get 6 plants, and then you wouldn’t underplant with all the same styles of plant, sucking the same goodness out of the soil.

Maybe Tiff was involved in styling the garden too for a photoshoot because it sure doesn’t look like any home vegie garden I’ve ever seen.

The other intriguing question is…why plant all this at home then buy bags of lettuce, and mundane ingredients at the local p*ss-poor grocery store when you could jazz up a salad with shaved kohlrabi, roasted cauliflower and delectable homegrown asparagus?

2. Layla says:

Article in 3-19 Tulsa World: http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/food/pioneer-woman-trisha-yearwood-and-kerry-vincent-bring-oklahoma-flair/article_c9102ed8-5aea-5a42-9d11-0f2b7349fd23.html

They used a previous quote from PW, about how she “likes to bring viewers to places in the Tulsa area,” which she’s never done as far as I know.

I’ve been to the Sugar Arts competition and was blown away by all the entries. And in a case of irony, the paper has been updated with an article about how Trisha Yearwood recently told someone that she and Garth are moving to Nashville. I’m sure if someone can come up with $2.something million (at least), they can have a very nice estate in Owasso, OK.

• Layla says:

Oh, I am wrong. W-A-Y wrong. Not even remotely close to the asking price. According to a local TV station, the asking price is $25 million. (Well, at least I had a “2” in it!)

$25 million? To live in Owasso? Unless times have changed, I don’t think there’s an abundance of homes worth that in OKC or Tulsa.

• Layla says:

I think the most I’ve seen is $4M. It’s a select group of people who can pay that price, and I can’t believe any would want to live in Oklahoma. Although the heliport could be a selling point. :-)

• Charlie says:

That’s where Sandy is from (I think), so they built a house to be near the kids.

3. June g. says:

Is there a video that I’m not seeing?

4. Charlie says:

Re: the Grandview Inn, that would make sense that Ladd grew up in town. A lot of ranch owners do live in town and let others live on the ranch. They have the home on Airbnb.com. I wonder if they were wanting the August Osage County crew to stay there?

5. Daisy says:

I spent quite a bit of time recently following this story of BlogHer. It surely makes you think about how difficult it is to stay in the network. Also, it sure looks like once PW joined, no one else made any money. And she didn’t have to follow the rules.

That’s a great site and she really did her homework on BlogHer’s questionable practices. I’m sure Ree’s demands for the best ads and prime placement coupled with Lisa Stone’s ambitions, created what Rechelle called the blogging caste system.

6. cath says:

Ok … i’m ready to donate and wil happily pay because of all the work you put into this site. is it too rude to get a general idea of what you need overall? i tried to email but couldnt find a link. For the enjoyment factor alone it’s worth every penny … unless of course ypu are talking a share in millions… then i’m not your man :))

7. Kathryn says:

There is a very poorly laid out directory at the blogher website.

8. J says:

Completely off topic, but James Beard nominations came out today. Amy Thielen was nominated for Heartland Table, along with Lidia Bastianich and Martha Stewart. She is certainly in good company. I saw the last few minutes of last week’s disaster of a show where they featured ice cream sundaes (nothing homemade of course!) before Heartland Table. It further highlighted the juxtaposition between the two women. Congrats to Amy! Now if only she were featured more prominently! Or she could move to PBS to be in better company!

Thanks for the info. Funny how PW never gets nominated by the JB awards, but I’m sure her PR people will prevail eventually.

• J says:

UGH. I dread the day. But you’re right. With enough money, I fear it might happen.

• V. Salt says:

Yeah, maybe if JB has a crimes against food category, PW might get a nomination. I wouldn’t be surprised if she PR’d her way in to a nomination though. There’s a reason Anthony Bourdain called the award crap, because hacks like PW get nominated.

9. Maya says:

She really has that script memorized, huh? Too bad she is not giving enough time after questions to make it seem like she is thinking about her answer before spitting out her canned response.

Robotic.

10. Kitty says:

It sounds like they keep it real classy on there-NOT! Of course she has to point out the homely heifer as a shining example of keeping it real. It made me sick just listening to her fake spiel about her stupid company. Unbelievable.

I loved how she slowed it down when Norah asked, “how do bloggers make money” with your network. Lisa’s a pro, put the positive spin at the beginning of the sentence and end it with, “the average blogger makes $200/month” for groceries. I missed my calling, didn’t realize the “Vibrator” investigative angle was so lucrative.

• Kitty says:

Actually, you have class, which apparently a lot of those idiots don’t have. Yes, I noticed the $200 part, which she hurried over. Everybody just focused on the $36 million!

• Kitty says:

Also, the first thing I thought about when I was hearing about her stupid company was, Pyramid Scheme!

Yes, for those who didn’t launch a blog back in 2005/2006, that’s exactly what it is. Once the ground floor opportunity dries up, there’s not a lot left. Years ago, an Oklahoma friend tried to sign me up for Arbonne. I told her I’d look into it, but what I found was everybody and their dog was selling it. I would have had to quit my full time job to search for people who hadn’t heard of the opportunity. I declined and less than a year later, the woman who recruited me gave it up. What a racket! Just like BlogHer. How many big name advertisers want ad placement on sites covering vibrators and blow-jobs? Ree Drummond was at the right place, at the right time with the right amount of $$$$. I know Pie Near Woman looked into BlogHer at one point and wrote a piece how BlogHer was giving Ree favorable treatment over other bloggers. I’ll have to look it up.

• jill says:

sorry to belabor a point, but I’m still amazed that anyone would get on the internet and blog that they give blow jobs regularly. and for pillsbury to sponsor this blog is quite a long way from their “milk and cookies” reputation. Not that I purchase pillsbury products much anyway, but they just got the big scratch off from any and all future shopping lists. We won’t be needing any of their creamy fillings for sure!

• jill says:

where’d my reply go? I was so pleased with myself on that one.

• Romen says:

Rechelle Unplugged. Throw blogher into her search engine for three posts about PW and BlogHer! Hysterical stuff.

I thought Rechelle had done some research into BlogHer playing favorites with certain bloggers.

11. Laurel says:

Love how you call them out for their b.s.!
    Marketing is based on how many gullible souls you can manipulate, not how much truth you are telling – sad commentary on people today who don’t care about the difference.

And I contributed $25 dollars:)

12. Soldiergal says:

A Hoader in the Making, with her Longanberger basket, certainly seems to meet the quality guidelines that apply to Ree. I shudder to think…but that gal is probably a loyal reeple as well.

13. Layla says:

Do you suppose Pillsbury knows they’re sponsoring a blog about vibrators?

14. Jill says:

“He said that I had to cook him a steak and give him a blow job to show him my appreciation. Since these were two things I did regularly”

Merciful heavens. I’d say “how low can we go?” but it would be too punny and I’m really dismayed that anyone would get on the World Wide Web to admit to mom dad God and coworkers that she regularly smokes meat.

15. June g. says:

WTH?! Is it possible to find out which bloggers are part of Blogher? And the most lucrative?