Reese Witherspoon and The Pioneer Woman Movie

Last Friday, The Pioneer Woman invaded the American West.  Galloping into Great Falls, Montana for yet another worship service book signing, the “little ol’ ranch wife” met her adoring legion at the Best Western Heritage Inn. Hmmm, guess my internet was down as I missed the obligatory guest room photos.

The following day, the Great Falls Tribune published their account of the event echoing not only the praises of the idolizing throng but the pre-event press release.  Do journalists bother to check facts anymore or do they simply accept as gospel a hastily faxed statement from their subject’s publicist?  Whatever, the paper got a couple of items wrong.

First, it was just a year ago when Deadline Hollywood ran the following exclusive:

“It’s a blog.  It’s a cookbook.  It’s a Reese Witherspoon Romantic Comedy?”

announcing Columbia Pictures’ purchase of the rights to Black Heels to Tractor Wheels.  Although news of the acquisition was derided and met with ridicule by most people possessing a functioning cerebellum, pioneer woman fans trolled cyberspace countering any negative press with comments of praise and exultation.  I’ll spare you the links to this drivel.

Within hours, DH’s announcement went viral.  There was one problem though, most news outlets failed to correctly interpret DH’s question mark following the mention of Reese Witherspoon.   In short, DH’s report quickly became rumor as one news organization after another stated the actress would star in the mass-appeal blockbuster.

For months, the fabrications surrounding Witherspoon’s participation in the project took on a life all their own.  Last Saturday, Great Falls Tribune’s Erin Madison inaccurately reported,

“A book chronicling her life, titled ‘Black Heels to Tractor Wheels’ came out in February.  It’s being made into a movie that will star Reese Witherspoon.”

We can’t be sure where Ms. Madison acquired the information about Ms. Reese’s as yet to be confirmed role in this Lifetime Movie of the Week film.  One thing’s sure, she never bothered to ask the Pioneer Woman who in this February, 2011 video from CloutandAbout clearly states that Reese Witherspoon “is not officially committed.”

Secondly, Ms. Madison reported,

“Eventually her online recipes led to a cookbook, ‘The Pioneer Woman Cooks,’ published in 2009.”

Calling The Pioneer Woman Cooks a cookbook is at best erroneous.   In our opinion, it’s anything but.  The publication celebrates the culinary mundane and is nothing more than a family photo album sprinkled with decades-old recipes, versions of which have been previously published either on the Internet or in numerous community cookbooks.

For those desiring a good chuckle, grab your favorite alcoholic beverage and take a look at thisWarning, it’s rated P for puke.

35 Responses to Reese Witherspoon and The Pioneer Woman Movie

1. Kris says:

I thought when I left high school (20 years ago) that all the mean girls would be left behind….time to grow up girls and get a life. I don’t know where you get pleasure in making fun of someone else.

Kris, who’s being mean? Sorry, but I don’t equate exposing a narcissist’s lies and fairy tales as an exercise in hostility. Oh and one more question: how much does Ree pay you to troll sites and post derogatory comments?

2. Elizabeth says:

Took the link to the P-rated post. Oh my. The fawning that went on in Great Falls sounds obscene.

I did notice Girly Girl called the Black Heels book a novel–guess she doesn’t know that means a work of fiction. But I’ve wondered about the BHTTW saga for some time now. The description of meeting MM and not knowing who he was? Yeah, right. Someone in her circle of friends in the bar that night knew who he was, and her sights were set. I think the whole Chicago dilemma and much of the “drama” throughout the book were literary devices used by her to fluff up the story.

Much to my chagrin, I read part of the saga on the web site back in the day when I still believed this gal was for real. I think I may still have a copy on my computer from when I would print it out to read at coffee breaks. What a waste of good paper!

And I remember saying to friends, I don’t know how she does it all–blog, homeschool, cook, test recipes, help with ranch stuff, along with all the everyday stuff life with children and a husband is. Didn’t know then that she was married to a millionaire rancher. Didn’t know then about guest writers doing posts for her, I believed she was doing it all herself. Good grief, was I naive. I have many rancher friends, and even those who are quite well-off don’t live like she does. Not even close. Shoulda seen it coming. :)

Girly Girl should take a reality pill. And now I also understand why her other brother didn’t allow her to post about his life and family. Smart guy, that one.

3. SSK says:

The best part of Girly Girl’s post was “Why were these women going crazy over this one woman?!?!?” Why indeed.

4. poppy says:

P for Puke!

5. Rechelle says:

I had misgivings that it was a ‘poe’ post too. It was just so over the top! Also – I can’t believe that Ree Drummond stayed in a B and B. It really doesn’t seem to be her style.

• Suz says:

If I had to guess, I would say the museum folks arranged her lodging.

• JustPeachy says:

Rechelle, I wondered about that as well. It doesn’t appear that Great Falls has luxurious hotels rivaling the W. Minneapolis – Foshay in Salt Lake City or The Four Seasons St. Louis. So, I’m guessing her choices were either the charming, quaint and ever-so-romantic B & B, or the Best Western she was appearing at… and no way in hell would the rich, yet “isolated” P-Dud lower herself to stay at a BEST-F@CKING-WESTERN. In Ree’s world, that’s probably the equivalent of a Motel 6!

6. r e lee says:

I agree a warning is in order…I gagged at about the second sentence. Help me Rhonda.

7. Wee Wee says:

OMG? They had a “jammie” moment with PW.
    I just died. NOT!

8. Wee Wee says:

I am utterly speechless.

Did you see the people in the photo of the crowd? Take a good look.

It shocks the conscience. I guess, they look the way I expected them to look.

Did you see PW’s brown Joie top? How predictable.

I have to say that I am starting to get bored with her whole schtick. I’ve only known about her site for a little over a month now, and I feel like I’ve already seen it all — over and over again.

I noticed the same thing. A group of people who live their lives on the internet and lap up the Pablum she spoon feeds them. Did anyone else notice how PW didn’t bother posting a “hotel tour” of the Best Western? Perhaps I should point this out to their CEO.

9. Lily says:

o. my. god. you need to improve the warning sentence about reading girly girl. My thirteen year old does not go on like that. It really does read like a pie near woman spoof. I never quite realized how low the level of the sheeples . I thought a good friend of mine is/was (in transition) a sheeple, but now I realize even she is more normal. Geez, I now have a whole new respect for her. Yes, she is lovely, and even now that she is reading PWSux here or there, she would (so far) NEVER actually write a negative comment about Ree (unless ree/pw will upset her, then she is giving me permission to go all out for her)…all in all i had considered her to still mostly be a sheeple. I confess my misjudgement. She is way too smart, elegant, restrained,intelligent and normal to be girly girl. I owe my friend an apology.

And if Ree is cultivating this girly girl stuff and likes it, just confirms her sick narcissism ego issues.

10. Kathkin68 says:

Girly Girl claims: “My mom was also a city girl from California that moved to a rural Montana to a cattle ranch and dealt with the traumatic transition of city to country life.”

Sweetie, based on your mother’s hair and choice of attire, I suspect her “city” is about as urban as Pioneer Woman’s (pop. 35,000). My guess is Mama Girly Girl came straight from the mean streets of Carpinteria.

11. wineinmyglass says:

i say let’s all show up at the next book tour with her cook book we printed off her web site and ask her to sign that. It’s just the same as the reel thing right?
    Beside after we can burn it like they did in the early 19th century.
    Destroy all evidence of it ever been put in print.

• mollys says:

wonder how many pawhuskans will be at this event…

Townmaker Square is Having a Book Signing!
      Saturday March 26 from 3 pm to 5 pm
      The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond,
      will be here to sign your copy her new book
      ‘Black Heels to Tractor Wheels’
      We have plenty of books available.
      We also have The Pioneer Woman Cookbooks

12. “Girly Girl” has far too much adoration for one person. If she were 12, she’d be deep in the thralls of Bieber Fever. Did it feel to anyone else like they were reading blog post from a 12 year old?

It is people like this that the PW appeals to though. She’s so blinded by celebrity that she’s lost any sense of discernment whatsoever. She’s certainly never seriously asked herself if PW actually deserves the exultation they so readily dole out.

• Jan says:

I agree. If I had not known better, I would have thought I was reading some pre-teen girl’s account of meeting the latest pop star.

• TxAggies says:

Yep she sounded like me, many many moons ago when I was totally gaga over David Cassidy and my BF was nuts about Bobby Sherman (blecchhhhh)

13. Stella says:

LOL. Girly Girl was rather cute, to be honest. Oh to be young and naieve like that again!!! But, I can’t help feeling that Ree couldn’t remember a rat’s ass to who her mother was. Come on………”Oh yes, we had a connection”. 500 people were there, that’s not a HUGE number, you should be able to remember the citygirl/ranchwife story, since you’ve supposedly lived it your selp, dumb ass Ree.

I’ll bet Ree hightailed it outta that B&B real quick once she realized a “crazed fan” was there. LOL.

The other lady – who brought her the pepper casserole pots, seemed waaaaay more sincere. Unlike Ree, who has blogged for years, and can’t remember shit about the people she supposedly “talks to”, like thinking Rechelle had just had a baby.

I love to see know it alls flounder :)

..Stella..

14. JustPeachy says:

Vodka… STAT!!! Obviously Girly Girl needs some mixed with her Kool-Aid. The poor child needs to come out of the matrix.

I simply do not get that level of Ree-hysteria. It’s both frightening and nauseating.

15. Hellen Wheels says:

Oh man, I actually think I lost some brain cells while reading that GIrly Girl post. Somebody pass me the tequila, please, I need to blot it all out.

It’s so sad how she was so giddy after learning she’d be featured on Tasty Kitchen during the exact same week PW was scheduled to appear in Great Falls. Who’d she think Drummond would pick? Someone from Florida? She doesn’t realize she’s being used to further the brand.

16. Are you kidding me? If either of my daughters acted like that, I’d have to kill myself for having spawned them!!! Good god, “we’ve worked so hard to keep these kids off of drugs”. I didn’t even laugh while reading that post, I just drank. So much for strong, intelligent women ruling the world. Please, Ree, just touch me and I’ll be healed. Okay, I’m giving up.

17. poppy says:

Nah. We’ll just take the cookbooks that she has stolen recipes from and let her sign those.

18. poppy says:

Well, wadda ya know! The Girly Girl Cooks is the Featured Cook on Tasty Kitchen this week! Did you notify her so you can get a pingback? That might get several new converts this week! Oh MW, I really needed more alcohol for that blog post! I wish we could all get together as a group and go to one of those signings. Wouldn’t that be hilarious?!!

19. anon. says:

Oh, look! She’s wearing the brown flowy top that’s like the orange one! All of the fawning that Great Falls writer and the blogger(s) did is just nauseating.

20. Hellen Wheels says:

Oh good lord, was that a secret parody post from Pie Near Woman, or did someone drop Girly Girl on her head when she was a baby??!

“SUPER-CUTE! SUPER-COMFY! COMPLETE AIRHEAD!! ReeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeEEEEE!!!!”
    (thud)